Monday, December 2, 2013

Cheating Upwards

             The New York Magazine article "Cheating Upwards" makes use of narrative in order to further push its message. Its argument is primarily that while cheating is a very serious issue that warrants severe punishment, students' lack of moral integrity is not solely to blame for its prevalence. The use of following a case study of Nayeem Ahsan, a bright, talented, and seemingly well-meaning student illustrates that all cheaters are not faceless scumbags who can't hack it on their own. In fact, it is often smart students that are caught of large scale cheating, as they are the ones with the cleverness and resources, as well as an understanding of the system, to be both able and compelled to cheat. Nayeem himself wanted to help other students because he felt that he had the academic skills to excel in school, but that it wasn't fair that others had to be subjected to a system that didn't play to their strengths and have their whole lives determined by that when they were just as deserving of success as he. By using Nayeem's personal narrative, the reader gets a feeling for sympathy for kids who must muddle through an increasingly competitive system that attempts to pit students against one another to determine their future, and causes us to be understanding of students that choose instead to take on a role of allyship. However, Nayeem's story also demonstrates that even those who are well-intentioned and bright can turn out to be rule breakers and perhaps not understand the weight of their choices, no matter their intentions, giving us a feeling of the prevalence of the epidemic of cheating. Additionally, it forewarns younger readers that even the brightest can be caught and face the consequences. In short, this narrative encourages us to be understanding of the cheating epidemic, but cautious of our own roles in it.
Nayim Ahsan is not to be confused with Julian Assange (pictured), who 
was also not very good at keeping answers to himself. Hey oh!

             I remembered this essay well from the first time I read it, as I placed a great significance on my performance on the piece of writing. I figured that it was my first piece of real college writing ever and I needed to really put my best foot forward. I had no idea it would matter so little in the grand scheme of things, but I did read it carefully and worked very hard to craft a good argument. Therefore, re-reading the piece was not a significantly enlightening experience. I didn't really take away anything from it that I didn't the first time, and as argumentative, thesis-driven paper writing is my strongest and favorite form of writing (or assignment of any kind) I stand by my original work on the piece and don't feel that if i wrote the essay for the first time now instead of then it would really be any different.
Behold, the Starbucks on Forbes and Shady where I wrote this essay and 
every other essay from my junior and senior year of high school.



No comments:

Post a Comment